Co-cathédrale Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue

55 Rue Ste Élizabeth, Longueuil, QC


The Cocathedral of Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue (French: Co-cathédrale Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue) is a co-cathedral in Longueuil, Quebec, Canada, on Montreal's south shore. It is located on the corner of Rue Saint-Charles and Chemin Chambly in the Borough of Le Vieux-Longueuil. It is dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua. The cathedral houses the remains of the Blessed Marie-Rose Durocher, the foundress of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary.

Its episcopal region is Longueuil-Nord. Lionel Gendron, the bishop, has a cathedra sculpted in walnut. Before the reign of Bernard Hubert, it was simply a parish church.

The cathedral was classified as a historical monument by the Government of Quebec in 1984

La cocathédrale Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue de Longueuil est située dans l'arrondissement du Vieux-Longueuil dans la ville de Longueuil, sur la rue Sainte-Élizabeth, à l'angle de la rue Saint-Charles et du chemin de Chambly, près du bureau d'arrondissement du Vieux-Longueuil et du collège Édouard-Montpetit. Elle est consacrée à Antoine de Padoue, frère mineur et grand orateur qui prêcha en France et en Italie et que l'on fête le 13 juin.

La cathédrale est aussi consacrée à la Bienheureuse Marie-Rose Durocher, fondatrice de la Congrégation des Sœurs des saints Noms de Jésus et de Marie.

The site contains the archaeological remains of Fort Longueuil, a fort constructed between 1685 and 1690 as the fortified residence of Charles le Moyne de Longueuil, the only Canadian-born person to be raised to Baron by the French King. The fort was demolished in 1810, and the cathedral contains stone building materials and elements salvaged from the fort. The site of the fort was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1923.

The Parish of Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue was founded in 1698 and is one of the oldest in Canada. The cathedral was built mainly from 1884 to 1887, although it was not completed until 1911. It is the third church in the history of Longueuil, the first being completed in 1811.

Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue was designated a co-cathedral in 1982 when the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint-Jean-de-Québec was renamed the Roman Catholic Diocese of Saint-Jean-Longueuil. The Cathedral of Saint-Jean-l'Évangéliste has been the primary cathedral of the diocese since its establishment in 1933.

A funeral was held for Jean-Pierre Côté, the 23rd Lieutenant Governor of Quebec, on July 17, 2002.

In 2005, the faithful of the diocese paid tribute to Pope John Paul II following his death. During a special vigil attended by the bishop and a local congregation of Filipino Religious Sisters, they also wished a happy pontificate to his successor, Pope Benedict XVI.